Data Security – Data Protection & Privacy
Data security means protecting digital data, such as those in a database, from destructive forces and from the unwanted actions of unauthorized users, such as a cyberattack or a data breach.
Data security refers to the process of protecting data from unauthorized access and data corruption throughout its lifecycle. Data security includes data encryption, self-destructing messages, hashing, ethical hacking, tokenization, and key management practices that protect data across all applications and platforms.
There are other practices also for making sure the security of the data on the internet like – not to share excessive and confidential data on social networking websites and application, updating the security settings on social media platforms i.e., allowing only those visitors to see your data whom you want to and enabling the remote location of the device so that the device can be tracked if lost.
Let us take a deep look at the above-mentioned ways of data security.
1. Encrypted & Self-destruct messages - Encryption is the technique by which data is changed over into secret code that conceals the data's actual significance. The study of encrypting and decrypting data is called cryptography.
The recipes used to encode and decipher messages are called encryption calculations, or codes. When an encoded message is blocked by an unapproved element, the gatecrasher needs to figure which figure the sender used to scramble the message, just as what keys were utilized as factors. The time and trouble of speculating this data are what makes encryption a particularly important security instrument.
Self-destruct messages - The messages disappear forever after a fixed amount of time, called Self-destruct messages.
Applications to send self-destructing messages – Gmail, Telegram Messenger, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Instagram.
2. Ethical Hacking - Ethical hacking is a process of detecting vulnerabilities in an application, system, or organization’s infrastructure that an attacker can use to exploit an individual or organization. They use this process to prevent cyberattacks and security breaches by lawfully hacking into the systems and looking for weak points. An ethical hacker follows the steps and thought process of a malicious attacker to gain authorized access and test the organization’s strategies and network.
Who is Hacker? - A hacker is an individual who utilizes programming skills or specialized abilities to conquer a problem or an issue.
Types of hackers
White hat hacker: A ethical computer security expert or a software engineer who works in infiltration testing and other testing approaches that guarantee the security of an association's data frameworks.
Black hat hacker: A programmer who disregards PC security for their own benefit or perniciousness.
Gray hat hacker: A programmer or computer security expert who may in some cases disregard laws or ordinary moral guidelines, however, doesn't have the vindictive goal like a Black hat hacker.
3. Data protection & privacy over the internet
The right to personal data protection and privacy is one of the fundamental human rights. With the rapid development of digital technology and the Internet, this right has been seriously undermined.The time we live in, we can call it as ", is described by the preparation of an enormous amount of various data. Our own information is treated as the ‘new oil’. The organizations actually charge users for their ‘free’ services by asking them to leave more and more personal data.
Kids, being the most youthful Internet users, have been set as the focal point of a continually developing individual information market. Utilizing 'keen gadgets' and toys associated with the Internet (like Hello Barbie) are only a portion of the approaches to gathering kids' very own data.
What is personal data?
Personal data are all data related to a person, on the basis of which such person can be identified and thus his/her privacy compromised.
Personal data include:
- Name and surname
- Residential address
- Email address
- IP address
- The location of the person
- Online behavior of the person (data collected with cookies).
- Membership over social media or other platforms
- Sexual orientation
- Health information, data relating to the physical and mental health of an individual
- Biometric data, personal information obtained by behavioral characteristics of a person enabling or confirming the unique identification of that person, for example. Face recognition or fingerprints
Ways how we left our personal information online
- Active digital footprints – Information, users leave when using the Internet, usually consciously, though not necessarily intentionally. For example when buying something from eCommerce websites, downloading some media or content from the Internet, uploading images, making profiles over social websites.
- Passive digital footprints – Information users leave on the Internet when using it, mostly unconsciously. For example, through cookies, fingerprints, location data, use of smart gadgets.
Ways of data protection
Understanding the significance of information security will assist you with planning an arrangement to ensure that information. There are numerous information security advances and cycles that can uphold your organization's profitability while shielding information. Kinds of information security controls include:
Authentication, alongside approval, is one of the prescribed approaches to help information security and ensure against information penetrates. This confirms if users' accreditations match those put away in your data set. The present standard measures incorporate utilizing a mix of approaches to distinguish an approved client, like passwords, PINS, security tokens, a swipe card, or biometrics.
Confirmation is made simpler through single sign-on innovation, which, with one security token, permits a validated client admittance to various frameworks, stages, and applications.
Backups & recoveryFocusing on information security likewise requires an arrangement for how to get to your organization's and customer's information in case of system failure, catastrophe, information corruption, or break. Doing normal information reinforcements is a significant action to assist with that entrance. It involves making a duplicate of your data and putting away it on different systems or mediums like a Hard drive, CD, or in the cloud. You would then be able to recover lost information by utilizing your backups.
Data masking programs hide data or information by obscuring letters and numbers with proxy characters. The information is still there, behind the veiling. The product changes the information back to its unique structure just when an approved client gets that information.
TokenizationTokenization substitutes delicate information with arbitrary characters that are not algorithmically reversible. The connection between the information and its symbolic qualities is put away in an ensured data set query table, instead of being produced by and unscrambled by a numerical calculation. The token addressing the genuine information is utilized across various systems as a substitution, while the real information is put away on a different, secure stage.